Thursday, May 27, 2010

BIKE!

I've wanted to get a bike for about 3 years now, but I didn't know how to buy a bike and I was intimidated by the idea of riding in the street with cars. I haven't been on a bike since I was about 14, at which point I was still allowed to ride on the sidewalk because I was just a kid.
I decided to try to find a cheap bike at a yard sale, that way if I didn't ride much I wouldn't be out much money. On Sunday, Dan and I set out in search of an awesome new bike. We spotted a couple of road bikes, but I wanted a mountain bike instead so that I wasn't committed to just riding on the road. We went to a yard sale that had advertised "BIKES!" on Craigslist, but they only had one road bike out. I mentioned to the guy that I was looking for a mountain bike and he went into his scary shed and got out this crappy bike and offered it to me for free. It needed a new seat and a chain, but it was free to I took it. I put a seat on it that very same day, and my boss put a chain on it for me (hi Greg!) and now it is the most amazing bike in the world!!! LOOK:
I've gone on 3 bike rides since Sunday, and I am so glad I got this bike. I forgot how much fun it is to ride a bike! So far I haven't had any problem with cars, although I don't trust those suckers. Soon I will ride downtown and if it's an easy ride (I think it will be; it's only 3 miles or so) I will be able to ride my bike home from work instead of having to wait for rides. Hooray! 
Sheesh, between running, playing tennis, climbing mountains, and now biking, I'm pretty much a jock by now. 

No comments: