Thursday, May 20, 2010

Running FAIL

I was up until 3am this morning because of some ill-advised coffee consumption at 9pm last night. I then slept until 10:30 this morning and debated going for a run. It's supposed to be 81 degrees today, so I figured I would have to go before noon if I didn't want to be too hot. Finally at 11:15 I decided to go. I ate a banana, drank a little water, and stepped onto my porch to gauge what 58 degrees felt like. I decided it was pants weather. 
I also decided to try for 30 minutes (which is my next goal) of continuous running, which would be about 3 miles for me. I went on a new route which was nice, and decided to run 15 minutes in and then back. It became apparent after about 5 minutes that a) 58 degrees is not pants weather, therefore I was not dressed properly b) I hadn't eaten enough and c) I was not properly hydrated. I also forgot sunscreen, and there was little to no shade along the way. I am pretty stubborn, so I just pushed on. I decided to turn around at 12:30 and just try for 25 minutes, since thus far 20 minutes is the longest I've been able to run. I got there and turned around, but when I hit 16 minutes I had to stop to walk because I started feeling dizzy. D'oh. I tried to start running again a couple of times, with no luck. I speed-walked back home, feeling crabby the whole way. I'm not sure if the lack of food was the biggest issue. I see people running at 5:30 am all the time. I have a hard time believing that they get up at 4, eat a regular breakfast, wait an hour, and then run. I think it was the heat/dehydration; if I had had a little more water and worn shorts, I would have been fine. Oh, well. Live and learn. 
I'm going to have to figure out how to run without dying now that it's getting hot out. I'll (hopefully) be working full time starting next week, which means early mornings for me , so running before it gets hot isn't an option, and I need to get in bed early so waiting for it to get dark also isn't an option. I guess that's why people get gym memberships. 

No comments: