Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bed Time!

Despite the fact that I got very little sleep last night, I'm all wound up. Since this is the first week of class, my stress level is high because I don't have a routine yet, so I have no idea how the hell I'm going to get all of this work done. My history and writing about literature class both have a huge work load, and my math 4 dummies class has a medium amount of work. I'm not sure how much work Spanish will be this semester yet, it depends on how quickly I pick up on the new verb tenses we're learning. The good news is that I've been frighteningly productive for the last 24 hours. I've finished almost two weeks worth of work for the writing class (online class=I am working ahead as far and quickly as possible), plus I finished my Spanish homework my math homework, plus I've attended 3 classes. Yikes!
I just looked at the chapters I have to read for history by next Tuesday and that stopped this productivity train dead in my tracks. 85 pages. Fuck you! I try to avoid doing reading if possible, and find that generally reading is not necessary because I learn much better from lectures anyway. But this sneaky prof has structured the class so that the reading is due every Tuesday, and we will have a quiz every Tuesday before the lecture. Sigh. I'm not even a slacker, I just know how I learn best, and it seems like an inefficient use of my time to struggle through suuuuper boring text books when the teacher is just going to explain everything during class anyway. Whatever.
So now I'm using my bountiful energy to write this rambly and perhaps insane blog.
I had my first math class in...8? years tonight, which terrified me to my very core. The professor seems cool, he helped me with my schedule this semester and he is pretty entertaining. Plus, he thoroughly erases the dry-erase board when he's finished, which was a relief. It drives me absolutely crazy when a teacher haphazardly erases stuff, leaving marks all over the board. Ugh! I'm much less afraid now, as the homework was super easy. I guess I can do math. And you know what? When the homework was over, it was over. No revising. No editing. It was just done. Look whose glass is half full! During class, the teacher invented this word problem, which I solved in my head in about 25 seconds, causing an inappropriate surge of pride. I thought to myself, "I must be some sort of idiot savant!"
The worst part of my day was when, moments after I tore the shrink wrap off of my new $185 math text book, the teacher read the title of our textbook, and I had the wrong one.


Artist rendition of me with my classmates after the horrible incident. Look at them comfort me.

So tomorrow I have to go fight with the bookstore people, because I ordered my books online, correctly, and they gave me the wrong book. I have so much evidence proving that it was their bad that I think I'll get my money back. I don't think they're going to fork it over without a significant amount of whining on my part. Thankfully, my professor has my back. After I shared my tale of woe with him, he got all riled up and said, "Oh, you'll get your money back. Let me know if they won't give it to you. I can be a squeaky wheel at faculty meetings until they give in." Holla!
Holy crap, I need to go to sleep.

No comments: