Friday, August 22, 2008

I'm having a rough week.

I have hurt myself more this week then I have in the past several months combined.

First, I cut myself at work while making bagel sandwiches. It happens sometimes (more often to me now than before I moved away for some reason) and usually you can just throw a band-aid on it and keep going. But this time I was bleeding. A lot. I mean, it wasn't stitch-worthy, but it's definitely one of my more severe cuts. Probably the second worst since I've been there. It was okay once I got a few band-aids on it.

Next, I was making soup from a new recipe the other night. Sweet potato soup. Yummy. The recipe called for one fresh jalapeno, de-seeded. No problem, I thought. I cut it open and scraped the seeds out with my thumb. I then washed my hands a few times in a row to make sure I got all the jalapeno juice off of them. Awhile later, my soup is simmering on the stove and I'm trolling around the interweb, and I touch my face. It feels kind of burny. I wondered if it was from the jalapenos, but thought I was being silly.

Fast-forward a few hours, dinner is eaten (delicious, by the way) and we're getting ready to go to Target. I had taken my contacts out after work, and went to the bathroom to put them back in. That's when I learned the life lesson that you're supposed to wear gloves when you de-seed jalapenos. Apparently the oils get into your skin and soap and water do nothing to get them off. It takes days. And jalapeno in your eye doesn't feel good. I've had to wear gloves to put my contacts in for the past few days. It's a pain in the ass.

As if those two things weren't enough, yesterday I was bageling again and a stupid bagel got stuck in the back of the stupid toaster so I reached in to pull it out (as I often do) but this time I wasn't careful enough and I touched the inside of the toaster with my arm. I was in denial about how bad the burn was at first, but it's pretty gross. Thankfully it doesn't really hurt anymore (unless I bump it on something) but it's just nasty to look at. And I'm pretty sure it's going to leave a scar.

Thankfully I have today off, Travers Saturday. I'm a bit hungover and trying my hardest to hide inside all day. Next week I agreed to work 6 days which won't be too bad, I don't think. I have Tuesday off and then the following Monday off, so I'm only actually working 5 days in a row without a break. Plus I'll get over 8 hours of overtime, and an extra day of tips. We just bought a bed so the extra money will be good.

For our road trip on Tuesday, we're going to Manchester to shop for clothes, which is one of the few girly things I actually like doing. Fall is my favorite season, I love sweaters and stuff, so I'm really excited to go.

Okay, time to find something to read.

2 comments:

Daniel Sennis said...

Thanks for telling everyone that you got hurt at work, and not the truth about my horrifying abuse.

Anonymous said...

I learned about jalapenos the hard way too... but in an exclusively boyish way. alright, so that's bullshit, but it was a great comment.