Saturday, August 9, 2008

Crabby

You'd think with all the excitement I experienced over finding a blog name I'd actually want to blog. Whatever, I'm busy.

So I had an altercation with a mattress salesman at Mega Mattress in Wilton last night. We went to get an idea of prices. Of course there was this typical slimy Italian bro trying to sell us this mattress right then. I mean, we were clear that we didn't want to buy a mattress at that time, but he would not shut up.
He knocked $200 off the price, claiming something about being one sale away from a trip to Hawaii or something. We kept going back and forth, us saying we weren't buying anything right then, him being cocky and insisting we were stupid not to buy it. Eventually I couldn't take it anymore and told him sassily trip to Hawaii or not, and we didn't want to buy a mattress tonight. Then he was like "You're walking away from the deal of a lifetime here." I swear, that's a direct quote. Dan was quickly ushering me to the door, recognizing my rage and understanding the things that might come out of my mouth. So all I got to say on the way out the door was "The deal of a lifetime? On a mattress? Wooooow." Then the guy angrily yelled something like "$798 if you ever come back!" When we were already outside. As soon as we got in the car Dan pointed out that now we can never go back there. But that's fine with me, that guy was a moron.


Dan and I got Tuesdays off together, and we've been going on road trips the past couple of weeks. It's great to get the hell away from the tourists here once a week. Last Tuesday we went to New Paltz, because that's where Dan went to grad school and I've only been there once briefly on our way back from the city.
First we went to Minnewaska State Park Preserve which is right outside New Paltz. It's up on a mountain, and it was perhaps the first mountain I've actually been on in my life. I mean, I can't say for sure I've never driven on a mountain in Vermont or something, but to my knowledge I haven't. You drive up this steep windy road to get the the park, and then when you enter the park the road is way more steep. Dan was terrified.
It was really beautiful. I forgot to bring sneakers, so we couldn't hike too much. Also, I did a lot of bear research a month ago and I was kind of scared that we would run into one. Especially because the higher we got, the more dense the trees got and there were no other people anywhere. I would like to make a day of it sometime, though, fear of bears or not. There is a waterfall there somewhere, and miles and miles of trails. Here's a picture of Minnewaska Lake:




No comments: