Sunday, September 27, 2009

A brief history of Linda

If you were to start working at uncommon grounds anytime after January or February of 2007, our introductions would go something like this:


You: "Hi, I'm Bill."

Me: "Hi, I'm Linda."


Those of you who know me IRL (which, in myRL, is anywhere outside of UG) might wonder why someone named Lindsay would introduce themselves as Linda. And if you come looking for "Lindsay", you might wonder why nobody will acknowledge that a person with that name exists.


I can give you the answer in two words: Bob Carlton.

In January or February '07, I was planning my big move to Minneapolis. It was probably all I talked about because I was really excited. Bob and I had a bit that my or may not have played into this, where we would pretend to be breaking up or to have recently broken up while ringing up customers at the register. I don't remember the entire thing, but I declared one day that everyone at work would miss me so much they would cry. To this, Bob replied, "No we wont! We won't even remember your name when you leave! In fact, I've already forgotten it. What's your name again? Linda?" And the Linda was born.

This bit caught on like nothing I've ever seen. I was Linda (or any other name that started with the letter "L", but mostly Linda) until the day I moved. This blasphemy was created on my last day and posted on my myspace :


When I called to give my boss my new address to send my tax form, I said, "Hey, it's Lindsay." and he said, "Who?" and I said, "Linda." and he said, "Oh, hey!"

When I came back, some other nicknames were tried out (we're big on nicknames at UG) such as "Dan's girlfriend." but it always went back to Linda.

And so, I am now Linda at work. I sometimes almost say "Hey, it's Linda" on people's voice mails. I almost introduced myself as Linda in one class. But the greatest thing of all happened tonight at Yom Kippur dinner with Dan's elderly grandfather. Dan said to him "You remember Lindsay, right?" and....



He. Called. Me. Linda.

2 comments:

Daniel Sennis said...

That WAS classic. I swear, he's been secretly ditching the nursing home for UG.

Bobby Carlton said...

Yes. Linda is my gift to you.