Friday, December 4, 2009

I haz a ghost?

To expand on my facebook update from 3am, something weird happened here last night. I got into bed around 12, and drifted off into a blissful sleep until Dan and I were awoken by a huge crash. I thought someone was smashing our back-door window to rob/kill us, Dan thought there was already someone in here who had dropped/ran into something. I don't really know what to do in the event that an intruder breaks into my apartment, so we went out of the bedroom to, I don't know, confront the criminal. Upon leaving the bedroom, I saw that there was a plate that had fallen off the counter and smashed everywhere. So that was the source of the noise. I quickly checked both doors, which were still chain-locked, and then checked both closets, which were intruder-free. We couldn't figure out how the plate had gotten from the counter to the floor, and went back to bed, both still in a state of panic. I had to get up a little while later to make sure there really wasn't anyone in here, because my number one fear (that I've had as long as I can remember, since I was a little kid) was that someone would break into my home.
I also got my iPod, as it was clear I wasn't going back to sleep any time soon, and in the dark I noticed something suspicious on the floor. I looked a little closer and realized they were stupid mouse droppings. Welcome to my second worse fear: mice.

But this explained how the plate broke, a stupid mouse must have knocked it off the counter. Great.
This morning, I was cleaning up the kitchen, and foun
d a suspicious lack of droppings anywhere. Hmm. That's weird, I thought. How could that dumb mouse have run all over the kitchen and not left a single poopy? I went back to the living room to sweep up the other poopies I found last night, and in the bright light of they day, realized they are only sweatshirt fuzzies! That really do look like mouse droppings, but aren't
So THANK GOD we don't have mice. Yet. This blog is jinxing me, I'm sure of it, and we will find our first mouse tonight. Thankfully, I stocked up on poison before I realized it was a false alarm, so I'm prepared.
But anyway, we're back to wondering how that plate fell off the counter in the middle of the night. I guess we have a ghost that got angry. Whatever, anything is better than intruders or mice.

No comments: