Tuesday, December 29, 2009

what I did over winter break part 1

I have adapted well to winter break. I took this week off because I have been pushing myself all semester, especially in this last month, and the idea of jumping into full-time work until my Iowa trip had me stringing up my noose. I wasn't sure what I was going to do the whole time, but so far, it's been awesome. I've been catching up on all the sleep I've been lost; my insomnia seems to be going away. Dan and I have spent more time apart than together since September-my classes are at night, he's working all day-and we are just enjoying spending time together. Lots of walks, Yahtzee, movies, and YouTube karaoke.
I've also been reading like crazy. I've always been a big reader, I can't remember a time in my life that I haven't been reading a book. As soon as I finish one, I start another. I don't know how old I was when I learned to read, but I imagine that's the age that I started reading like this.
Anyway, I've been having a hard time focusing on reading with all my school work--it's hard to stop thinking about the papers I have to write, the research I have to do, and so forth long enough to get into a novel. I've been reading a lot of essays: David Sedaris, Laurie Notaro, that dumb girl Sloan Crosley who sucks, etc. because it's easier to swallow little stories. But now that I'm free, I'm really excited to read as much as humanly possible. Right now, I'm almost finished with ¡Yo! by Julia Alvarez, next I'm reading Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko. Hopefully, when I finish that, the 5 books I ordered from Amazon will be here. Eeee!
I can't wait to get my grades back. I think they're due on the 4th, so I should know if I got that 4.0 or not in a week or so!

2 comments:

Daniel Sennis said...

It must be nice, hanging out with that Dan guy. I hear he's really sexy and smart and an amazingly talented youtube kareoke (sp?) singer.

Daniel Sennis said...

Excuse me? What are you DOING over there?